BRIDGES Pt.1

Pictorial Selection

of those Spanning Disused Lines

(Original Timetables included)

by

Brian Haworth

Revised: 01 Feb 2016

Click on each photo to view the corresponding

Bradshaw 1910/1938 Timetable

when the respective line was actually in use for passenger traffic.

Maps of the areas depicted

may be viewed by clicking here

MENU

         
  East Lancashire Line     Clapham - Low Gill  
  Lancaster (Castle) - Conder Green - Glasson Dock     Ulverston - Plumpton Jct. - Conishead Priory  
  Lancaster (Green Ayre) - Wennington    

South Wales

 
  Keswick - Penrith    

 

 
  Rochdale - Bacup    

Bridges Pt.2

(Blackburn-Chorley, Garsdale-Northallerton, and more . . )

 

 

 

 

 

 

EAST LANCASHIRE LINE

Preston Station (E.L.) - Whitehouse Junctions - Todd Lane Junction

 

View of the East Lancashire Railway's Ribble Bridge.

The old tramway bridge is just visible in the background

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vicars Bridge looking East towards Todd Lane Junction

 

The East Lancashire tracks fanned out from under the bridge

into the East Lancs side of Preston Station,

which was situated behind the photographer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Vicars Bridge looking East towards Todd Lane Junction

 

The East Lancashire tracks fanned out

from under the bridge

into the East Lancs side of Preston Station,

which was situated behind the photographer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ornate stone-built skew  bridge,

carrying the line over the walkway in Avenham Park,

and onto Ribble Bridge.

 

Note the stone shield and newly-restored balustrades.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View of the trackbed

over the East Lancashire Railway's Ribble Bridge

looking east towards Todd Lane Junction.

 

Note the footway on the left hand side

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The grandeur of the old railway Park Hotel,

conveniently adjacent to Preston Station,

 

can still be seen in this view,

taken close to the East Lancashire Railway's Ribble Bridge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Close up view of underside

of the East Lancs Ribble Bridge.

 

The massive stone abutments are in place

to prevent water erosion and scour.

 

The steel bridge deck and lattice facade is clearly visible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The second  attractive bridge over Avenham Park,

which is constructed from stone and brick.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A view from the other side of the bridge,

showing massive brick-wing walls

and the connection to the Ribble Bridge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Blue engineering, brick-lined stone occupation bridge in the embankment

on the approach to Whitehouse North Junction

travelling east out of Preston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A new wooden footbridge

has replaced an original steel-decked bridge

between Whitehouse North and East Junctions

on the Preston /Southport Line

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View under the new footbridge, showing the massive stone wing

with the bridge-support walls dwarfing the new footbridge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Newly-restored occupational bridge between

Whitehouse West and South Junctions

on the Todd Lane Junction - Southport line.

 

Note the massive stone wing-walls and restored stone parapets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Close-up of the restored stone parapets

and the re-painted steel bridge decking.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View of the track-bed of the Southport Branch,

passing under West Coast Main Lline,

and looking towards Middleford Junction

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brick built arch on the Bamber Bridge / Todd Lane (Preston Junction) / Preston line,

which opened to traffic in 1850,

and closed in 1973.

 

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

 

 

LANCASTER ( CASTLE) - CONDER GREEN - GLASSON DOCK

Four-pier  bridge over the River  Conder.

Conder Bridge Station was located

just off the right hand side of the bridge.

 

The bridge piers are constructed of brick,

whilst steel girders supported the track bed.

 

The two centre piers are faced with stone

to resist water erosion.

 

Immediately under the bridge,

Glasson Dock and the Conder / Lune Estuaries

are just visible.

 

 

 

 

 

 
xxxx xx
 
 

Showing considerable high tide damage

to the brick-built embankment relief bridge,

 

taken from the seaward side.

 

One of the only overbridges on the Glasson Branch

 

The neatly brick-built structure

carries a farm track over the former trackbed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

 

Brick-built  cattle-creep bridge

with cast iron girders  and iron handrails

in the embankment of Glasson Dock Branch.

 

The Lune Estuary can be glimpsed beyond the bridge

 

 

 

 

Close up of bridge decking.

The stone facing of the centre piers can clearly be seen.

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

 

 

LANCASTER (GREEN AYRE) to WENNINGTON

Five-arched bridge carrying the line over the River Lune

at Crook of Lune.

Stone piers and steel spans, with lattice sides.

 

 

 

 

Beautifully-proportioned five-arch bridge, which carries the line

over the River Lune at Crook Of Lune.

Its stone piers ,steel arches and lattice sides

are enhanced by their reflection in the crystal-clear River Lune

 

 

 

 

Stone-arched skew bridge,

which carries the road over the railway

at Crook of Lune.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First bridge out of Wennington Junction

on the Lancaster Green Ayre branch,

of skewed-stone construction

carrying the road over the railway

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

Close-up of the recently-restored steel work on one of the Lune bridges

at Crook of Lune

 

 

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

 

 

KESWICK TO PENRITH

Inverted Bow-String Girder Bridge on the Keswick to Penrith branch,

which opened to traffic in 1865,

and closed in 1972

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bow-String Girder Bridge on the Keswick to Penrith branch,

which opened to traffic in 1865,

and closed in 1972.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Warren truss footbridge on the Keswick to Penrith Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1865,

and closed in 1972.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bow-string girder bridge on the Keswick to Penrith Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1865,

and closed in 1972.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oval stone tunnel mouth on the Keswick to Penrith Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1865,

and closed in 1972.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

ROCHDALE TO BACUP

 

The graceful stone-built Healey Dell Viaduct on the Bacup to Rochdale Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1870, closed to passengers in 1947,

and finally freight in 1963.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Angled stone-arched overbridge located on the stiff climb out of Bacup.

 

The angled-bridge once carried a tramway over the line,

which was used for bringing stone down from the many quarries in the area.

 

The view under the bridge in the direction of the overhead pipe

is towards Bacup.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This rather pretty lattice-truss footbridge

is situated between

Brittania Station and Shawforth Station

 

and the view is down the valley towards Rochdale.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

 

CLAPHAM TO LOW GILL

The towering 267 yard long Ingleton Viaduct carried the Ingleton to Low Gill Branch

80ft above the River Greta on 11 stone arches.

 

The stone was gleaned from quarries at Bentham,

the branch opened to traffic in 1861, and closed in 1966.

 

Unusually, for such a large construction,

there were no fatalities or serious injuries recorded during its construction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stone arched bridge on the Clapham to Low Gill Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1861,

and closed in 1966.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stone occupational bridge at Barbon

on the Clapham Junction Low Gill Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1861, and closed in 1966

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stone arched bridge on the Clapham Junction to Low Gill Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1861, and closed in 1966.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stone brick-lined arched bridge on the Clapham Junction to Low Gill Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1861, and which closed in 1966

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

Visit Bridges Pt .2

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to RVR Home Page

 

 

ULVERSTON - PLUMPTON JUNCTION - CONISHEAD PRIORY

Iron and stone farm occupation bridge on the Plumpton Junction (near Ulverston)

to Conishead Priory Branch,

which opened to traffic in 1883, and closed in 1916.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Proceed to Bridges Pt. 2

 

Return to Top

 

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

 

Return to RVR Home Page