Sandown

 

ISLE OF WIGHT

Electric & Steam Railways

June 2014

by

Peter Bleasdale

 

Haven Street

 

 

 

 

To visit the website

for the

 

 

click above logo

 

 

 

 

 

 

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

To view the

RVR Historical Rail Map

for the

Isle of Wight Electric & Steam Railways

 

click the image below

(or scroll down)

 

XXXXXXXXXXXX

To view

Bradshaw 1922 Timetables

for Isle of Wight

click the image below

 

 

When the majority of railway lines on the Isle of Wight

finally closed in 1962

 

it was decided to keep the Shanklin to Ryde Pier line open,

 

but to electrify it, using 1930's ex-Northern Line stock

from the London Underground.

One of these London Underground units is seen here

arriving at Sandown Station

 

en-route to Shanklin.

 


Some sections of the trackwork from Sandown to Ryde

appear to be ready for renewal

 

and riding in these vehicles on this stretch

is more akin to riding a horse over rough ground!.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A general view of the delightful country station

at Havenstreet

 

on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway,

 

and the location of the Company's Engine Shed,


Workshops and new Visitor Centre.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This further view of Havenstreet Station

is looking towards Smallbrook Junction Station

which was opened in 1991 when the IOW Steam Railway

was extended to reach the Island Line electric system.

.

There is no footpath or roadway connection to this station,

and it is only open on days when both railways are operating.

 


From 1875 to 1926, there were two separate lines there

viz.

from Ryde Pier Head to Ventnor

and

Ryde Pier Head to Newport

(a delightful village and Ferry Terminal )

.

Upon acquisition by the Southern Railway in 1926,

a small signal box and turnout were installed,

.

and Smallbrook became a junction until 1966

when it was closed,

.

finally being re-opened by the Steam Railway in 1991

with an interchange station being built there

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our train consisting of lovely refurbished SR Suburban Coaches

with droplight windows

 

( reviving memories of daily trips to school from Clitheroe

in the 1950's LMS equivalents )

 

arrives at Havenstreet

with 'O2' Class 0-4-4T No.W24 'Calbourne' in charge.



This was the first engine acquired

by the embryonic Steam Railway in 1967.


Originally constructed in 1891 at the Nine Elms locomotive works

of the LSWR, designed by William Adams.

 

On 26th April 1925, she was shipped to the Isle of Wight

as part of the modernisation of the Islands Railways.


Westinghouse air brake equipment

and an extended coal bunker

were fitted to increase her operating range.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Under an almost cloudless sky,

with the new Museum Exhibits Shed

in the background,

 

W24 and suburban coach set

awaits the 'right of way'

from Havenstreet

 

to head for its final destination

at Wootton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Watched by an interested passenger,

leaning out from the droplight window,


No.W24 leaves the station

 

and begins the final stiff climb

to the terminus at Wootton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No.W24 running round its train at Wootton terminus

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No.W24 0-4-4T 'Calbourne'

has run round her train at Wootton

 

as the fireman unlocks the lever-frame

and changes the points

 

to complete the final operation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After an extended wait for other interested passengers

to return to their seats,

 

I finally manage to obtain this photo of our train

awaiting departure from the single platform terminus

at Wootton Station.

 


Once the train has left, the local bird population

will have this isolated spot all to themselves once more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A charming cosmetic Signal Box

adds some interest to the somewhat isolated

single platform terminus at Wootton,

 

the nameplate proudly proclaiming its location.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A lineside shot of No.W24

arriving with SR Suburban Coach set

at Havenstreet,

 

under the almost cloudless sky once more,

with the next train from Smallbrook Junction.



There is a level-crossing access footpath from the station

to the engine shed and museum at this point,

with gates across all tracks,

 

which is manned by two railway personnel

and controlled by a train-arrival bell and telephone

 

in a small cabin,

which can just be seen to the right of the picture.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the yard, standing in the warm afternoon sun, is Army No. WD192 'Waggoner',

painted in Longmoor Military Railway 'Oxford Blue'.


The locomotive arrived at Havenstreet

from the Museum of Army Transport at Beverley on 26th February 2005.

 

After a full inspection, she underwent a boiler re-tube,

the fitting of Westinghouse air brake equipment,

 

and was then steamed for the first time in 22 years during May 2006.



For further information on the history of this fascinating locomotive,


including details of how she recovered a gun from sunken railway track,

which two diesel locomotives were unable to achieve,

 

please consult

'Locomotives of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway"

by clicking below

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Ivatt Class 2 locomotive seen here,

inside the new "Train Story" Museum at Havenstreet,

 

was originally sent to Barry Yard for scrap in February 1966.


It was purchased by the Ivatt Trust in 1975

and moved to the Buckingham Railway Centre,

where it was intended to act as a source of spare parts

for sister engine 41298.

 

It was eventually decided to restore it to working order,

 

and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway

was chosen as a suitable location

for their three Ivatt locomotives.

 

She was moved to Havenstreet in August 2006,

where she is currently awaiting overhaul.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This view shows LBSCR Brake Third 4115

being restored inside the Carriage & Wagon workshops

at Havenstreet.

 

As is usual with volunteer restorations,

the level of expertise is second to none,

 

and the finished products, using modern materials,

are indistinguishable from the original manufactured products.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The following shots reinforce my comments

on the volunteer skill levels at Havenstreet,

 

and show what has been achieved

in the restoration of several old goods vehicles.



This is the LSWR 'Road Van '56046' .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A volunteer is putting the finishing touches

to this 1949-built BR 13 ton dropside wagon no.483733

 

which came into the works on 29th May 2014

for a refresh of its Southern Region Civil Engineers grey livery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This LBSCR 10 ton Goods Vans

saw extensive service on the Isle of Wight

but none were saved for preservation.in 1966.

 

This example was purchsed from the Tenterden Rolling Stock Group

and restoration commenced in April 2013,

being completed in early 2014.

 

It has been allocated IOW no.46923

and is a replica of vehicles once a common sight on the island.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is a wonderfully restored example of an SR 15 Ton Goods Brake Van.



These main type of SR 'Pillbox' brake vans

had a tare weight of 25 tons

 

but a small batch of fifty were built in 1934

with a tare weight of only 15 tons

for lightly-laid branches.

 

Two of these vans were transferred to the Island by BR

to replace LSWR Road Vans

following electrification of the Ryde-Shanklin line

with the intention of marshalling one at each end of an Engineer's train.

 

However, it was found that only one was necessary,

so no.DS55710 was purchased in 1984.

 

DS 55724 has also been acquired

and was restored to SR livery in 2001.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Above is the terminus at Ryde Pier

for the Island Line electric,

which now runs from here to Shanklin.


In steam days, the lines from

Ryde to Ventnor and Ryde to Newport

terminated here.



The Hovercraft service from Ryde to Portsmouth

operates adjacent to Ryde St.John's Road Station,

a little way back down the line,

 

and where the workshops of the Island Line are situated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another shot of Ryde Pier Head Station

showing the dilapidated condition

of the disused Railway section on the left.



This pier is quite unique

in having both pedestrian and motor vehicle access

along its whole length.

 


The Solent between here and the mainland

can just be seen on the extreme right of the picture.

 

This was once the ferry terminal

for the crossing,

which connected with the steam trains.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And finally a picture of the Hovercraft

leaving for Portsmouth

from the terminus at Ryde.

 

 

 

To view

Bradshaw 1922 Timetables

for Isle of Wight

click the image below

XXXXXZZZXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
 

To visit the website

for the

 

 

click above logo

 
XXXXXXX

 

   

Quick Links

   
X X