Gallery 16


Updated: 15 July 2017



Quick Links










by Peter Bleasdale

Paignton - Churston - Kingswear (for Dartmouth)


For further information

visit the


Paignton & Dartmouth Railway Website



click adjacent map






To view the

RVR Historical Rail Map

which includes the


Paignton & Dartmouth Steam Railway


click here





Against the wonderful backdrop of Torbay,

with the coast of Dorset just visible on the horizon,


"Lydham Manor" crosses the viaduct at Churston Ferrers

on the steepest part of the climb to Churston Station.











The much-repaired water tank

at Paignton Park Station


with an exquisitely refurbished set of coaches

in GWR livery, standing alongside.



GWR No.7827, "Lydham Manor",

prepares to run round the train of eight coaches

at Paignton Park Station,


prior to making a spirited run

up the incline to Churston Station.











The Station Nameplate at Churston.







At the entrance to Churston Station,

standing on the original branch line to Brixham,

can be seen the turntable,

which is part of the main repair and servicing depot

located on the opposite side of the tracks here.















"Lydham Manor" emerges from the trees,

and runs alongside the River Dart

on the outer approaches to Kingswear Station.













Locomotive and train pass the north-bound 'outer home' colour light signal,

and heads towards the waiting photographers.











The driver and fireman keep a watchful eye

as the locomotive nears the automatic barrier crossing

on the approach to Kingswear Station.












Against the magnificent backdrop of the River Dart and Dartmouth Marina,

the fully loaded 10 coach train in all GWR colours,

finally arrives at it's destination

recreating scenes of yesteryear.


The car park on the right of the picture

was the original location of Kingswear Goods Yard and turntable

in GWR & BR days.












This idyllic scene of the station environs around Kingswear

shows the 'Manor' locomotive

about to run round it's rake of coaches,


whilst the photographers cluster on the footbridge over the extended platform,

which proudly proclaims:

"Kingswear for Dartmouth",

accessed by means of the River Dart ferry.











A view of Kingswear Station and the landing stage of the passenger ferry

taken from across the Dart Estuary in Dartmouth.


One of the loading/exit ramps of the car ferry

can just be seen at the bottom right of the picture.













with the Britannia Royal Naval College prominently in view

across the River Dart estuary













With Dartmouth Marina once more in the background

the driver of "Lydham Manor" opens the regulator

to move his charge towards the crossover

located at the other side of the barrier crossing.





The locomotive has now regained the 'main line'

and is preparing to couple up to the coaches

for the return journey to Paignton.


The 'Whistle and 10mph speed limit" sign

for the level crossing and the crossing itself

is clearly visible in this shot.










Another close up of the "Manor" locomotive

as she prepares to couple up.






The fireman has performed his duties

and re-coupled the locomotive,

and the driver now opens the 'blower' to brighten the fire,

and raise the steam pressure

for the hard climb ahead back to Churston.










A close up shot of the locomotive nameplate.

For the technically minded,

the 'Rocking Levers' and the 'oil boxes'

for the Eccentric Straps of the Stephenson Valve Gear

are clearly visible in this picture.













A trackside view of the approaching train.













And now, a pair of photos taken

through the window of the Observation Carriage,

which is now positioned at the front of the train

for the return journey, showing the locomotive

running round and coupling up

once more to the coaches.


As the gentleman sitting in the front seat

of the Observation Carriage remarked :


" This is what a 'head on' train crash must look like!









We are ready for the return journey

'tender first' to Paignton.

I was unable to avoid

the top of the front seat passenger's head





After the exhilarating climb with superb sound effects

( which don't process very well on a photograph! ),


we approach the mouth of the long tunnel

just prior to arriving in Churston Station


and the long winding descent to Goodrington Sands.








On a warm and balmy afternoon

the train drifts across Churston Ferrers Viaduct 'tender first'


on the approach to Goodrington Sands Station.


In the background are the many leisure boats

and the empty tanker, the "BW Lake",

anchored in the bay.



Our train now approaches Churston Station

with its wonderful GWR footbridge.


The clearances on this line are very generous

as it was original constructed

to Brunel's 'Broad Gauge'.




As we approach Goodrington Sands Station,

the beach can be clearly seen on the right.


This is a wonderful location with the beach,

being located adjacent to the station.


Sea, sand, and steam locomotives,

what more could one wish for?









Our train finally returns to

Paignton Queens Park Station

at the end of our wonderful journey.


In the cab of the locomotive

are the driver, fireman and trainee

( GWR locomotives are right hand drive )







The returning locomotive hauls the train

out of the sunshine

into the relative gloom of the station roof

at Paignton Queens Park,


whilst large crowds await the commencement

of the the next service to Kingswear.


This is one 'Heritage Railway',

which is doing very nicely thank you.


Oh Doctor Beeching, if you could see it now!










The Dartmouth Steam Railway

and River Boat Company



June 2017






Arriving at Paignton Queens Park Station

for our journey to Kingswear

we were just in time to see

refurbished BR Standard Class 4,

4-6-0 locomotive, ‘Braveheart'

reversing from the relief loop to take up

his position at the head of our train.


The locomotive was fully refurbished

and returned to traffic in 2016

and now has a new boiler certificate until 2026.


Having been standing for a while after taking on water,

the driver opens the draincocks fully

to remove condensate from the cylinders.





Moving forward to couple up to our carriages,

which are painted in the attractive BR GWR livery,

with full draincocks open once more,

the fireman snatches a brief word

with a trackside colleague.


These 4-6-0 mixed traffic locomotives, a total of 80,

were designed by RA Riddles

and built at Swindon in 1951,

essentially a tender version of the

highly successful 2-6-4 tank engines,

and used the class 5 front bogie.


They were very similar to the GWR Manor locos

but built to the standard loading gauge.


They were used on lines where weight limits

precluded the use of the heavier class 5 engines













Leaving Paignton Queens Park Station tender first





The draincocks are still wide open

to protect the newly refurbished cylinders,

75014 heads over the barrier crossing

towards Goodrington Sands Halt





The station running-in board at Goodrington Sands

proclaims the newly formed alliance

between the Steam Railway, Ferry and Pleasure Cruises on the River Dart












As our train leaves behind the very attractive beach at Goodrington  

it begins the assault on the formidable 1:91 bank up towards Churston Station.


Many holidaymakers enjoying the early summer sunshine,

pause to admire the locomotive as it voices its attack on the climb ahead.













With Torbay and the English Channel to our left,

and the rocky terrain much in evidence,

75014, being in such fine fettle, makes light of the steep climb

and reverse curves of this tortuous section of line,

heading for Churston, our next station stop.

The wonderful rhythmic beat of our steam engine up this bank

invokes many childhood memories of days gone by for your humble writer













As another interested steam enthusiast looks back from the train,

we approach one of the many overbridges facilitating access to the beach

on this steep, curving section of line.













Crossing Broadsands Viaduct

allows this picturesque view of the lovely houses

in this glorious part of South Devon.

Of course, we ordered the special summer sunshine in advance!













Approaching the outer entrance to Churston Station

the ‘Banner Repeater', encompassing modern LED technology,

indicates to the footplate crew

that the Outer Home signal for the station platform

is in the clear position to proceed.













Entering the station, and taking the left hand passing loop,

we observe the modern servicing and storage depot

of this fine Heritage Railway to the right of the platform.


There will be a short delay here,

whilst we await the arrival of the down train to Paignton

on this single line branch.













Waiting patiently for the other train's arrival,

a fellow amateur enthusiast leans out

to share a quick word with your writer.


Meanwhile the ‘white feather' of steam,

rising from the safety valves of the locomotive,

indicates that the fireman is a master of his craft.













The station sign shows the location of this fine station,

opened in 1861 as ‘Brixham Road', and built by I.K. Brunel

on the Broad Gauge branch to Kingswear.


The early Broad Gauge track was known as ‘Baulk Road'

being a description of the longitudinal baulks of wood

onto which the rails were fastened and spaced by strips of cast iron.


This was converted to ‘standard gauge'

along with all the other broad gauge track in the country

by an Act of Parliament in the 1890's













This photo shows our refurbished Class 4 locomotive standing at Churston station.

They were extremely versatile mixed-traffic locomotives,

frequently used on passenger duties.

In 1964, 75014 was allocated to Shrewsbury from where it was withdrawn

and sent to Barry scrapyard in December 1966.

For fourteen years it rotted and donated parts to other locos,

until it was bought in 1981 by a four-man syndicate from the NYMR,

who brought it back to steam in 1994.

From 1994-98 it was the mainstay of the 'Jacobite' tourist train

from Fort William to Mallaig.

After missing a year, it returned in 2000, when it was named Braveheart,

in recognition of the Mel Gibson film, which was shot in the West Highlands.

It was bought by the present Dartmouth Steam Railway

and River Boat Company in 2002, and refurbished













The attention to detail on this Standard Class 4

is such that even the sand pipes are painted red!


The attention to detail on this Standard Class 4

is such that even the sand pipes are painted red!


The locomotive also carried the most fantastic Chime Whistle, from an A4, I think.


The driver blew this most enthusistically at every opportunity,

which made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck!













With the footplate crew keeping a sharp lookout,

the down train headed by 7827, Lydham Manor,

running tender first once more,

arrives in Churston Station,

have just breasted the 1:66 climb out of Kingwear.













The colour- light signal displays green and allows us to proceed on our journey.


Note the milk churns standing on the mail trolley alongside the travelling trunks,

which were once a common sight on our country branch stations.


A new innovation here is the provision of a connecting bus,

free of charge with a current rail ticket,

to travel the 15 minute journey to Greenway House,

the former home of the famous writer Agatha Christie,

and of which we availed ourselves on the following day.













A recent addition to this line is the newly-erected ‘Greenway Halt',

which allows a 30-minute stroll through the woods (strong footwear recommended)

to Greenway House

and is proving quite popular with DSR passengers.












Emerging from the curving Greenway tunnel,

the first glimpses of the evocative River Dart come into view.


This has to be one of the most wonderful places in our beautiful country.













We pass the former Phillips and Son's boat works,

which constructed over 300 Minesweepers and various vessels during the Second World War.


Unfortunately they went out of business some years ago

and the site is rumoured to be converted into flats; we shall see.













Approaching Kingswear on a more level terrain

the many pleasure craft of the Marina come into view.

The tidal waters from the Dart Estuary were very low on this particular day

and as we approached Totnes on our afternoon cruise

our Catamaran became stuck on the mud banks

and we had to await the rise of the river to float off!


The return journey was a complete contrast

with the River Dart exhibiting a totally different complexion.













A photo of Greenway viaduct on the entrance to the tunnel,

taken from the river, and partially hidden in the trees,

was finally obtained after many years of trying!













Drifting into our final destination at Kingswear,

with the colourful buildings on the left of the station enhancing the atmosphere,

several more camera enthusiasts take advantage of the delightful scene under a cloudless sky,

which your writer previously ordered.













This wonderful replica signal box, constructed at Kingswear Station

is a fine tribute to the skills and enthusiasm of the volunteers on this lovely railway;

Mr. Brunel would surely have been very proud.













Mr. I.K.Brunel is keeping a watchful eye on his legacy to this part of the country.













The corrosive nature of the atmosphere in these parts

requires constant renovation to the fixures and fittings.













Approaching Dartmouth by ferry from Kingswear Station,

our ‘cruise ship' to Totnes comes into view,

proudly proclaiming its close ties with the Railway.













This interesting bolster wagon was observed at Kingswear,

carrying a ‘WD' number,

I have been unable to obtain any information on this so far.













Returning by ferry from our delightful afternoon cruise to Kingswear,

our return train to Paignton, headed by 7827, Lydham Manor,

approaches over the level crossing into the boatyard.













Lydham Manor approaches Kingswear around the tight curve restricted to 10mph.


Constructed at Swindon in 1950, Lydham Manor

was the fifth locomotive rescued from Barry Scrapyard

and moved to The Dart Valley Railway at Ashburton

for restoration in 1970.


It was moved to Newton Abbot

and steamed for the first time on March 16th 1973

then moved under its own power to Paignton.


From its first steaming, it only appeared in unauthentic GWR lined green livery.

In June 2011, the DSR repainted it into fully-lined British Railway's black livery.













7827 reversing around its train in preparation for departure













Lydham Manor returning to Paignton Queens Park Station.













The tender of Lydham Manor, being built in the first years of Nationalisation,

sporting the early British Railways roundel, the ‘Roaring Lion'













No. 7827 prepares to run round his train for the last service of the day to Kingswear.

The heatproof paint, applied to the smokebox, does not appear to be doing its job very well!


Note the automatic draincock release valves on the front cylinder covers

and a small vacuum release valve on the front of the smokebox adjacent to the door.


The highly-polished dome cover and copper-rimmed chimney top

are typical GWR embellishments.













Before moving off, the fireman takes the opportunity

to rod the fire and remove any clinker and ash from the bars,

thus allowing more draft to draw the fire and make steam production more efficient.


The right-hand drive-regulator is very much in evidence in this shot,

but the ubiquitous tea can appears to be missing from the plate above the firehole door!


Lydham Manor is a lovely engine

and made light work of the return climbs of 1:66/71

up to Greenway Tunnel on our return journey.













In 1952, British Railways produced the 08 diesel shunter,

although the first of the class did not enter service until 1953.


They were very popular, useful locomotives

and 966 in total were made.


The DSR & RBC are obviously aware of their potential

and obtained this example, seen here at Paignton

for yard shunting duties.













Whilst waiting for our train to depart,

we were fortunate to observe the shunter

carrying out its intended function

and moving ‘dead' locos  around the storage shed.













This ex GWR 0-6-0 Pannier Tank, no 5700,

was built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1930.


It is normally based at Tyseley in Birmingham

and is main line certified.


It is on loan to the DSR until the end of 2017

to alleviate the locomotive shortage.













Ex-GWR 4277 2-8-0T, Hercules, was built at Swindon in 1920.


It was withdrawn from service in 1964

and sent to Barry Scrapyard, where it remained until 1986

when it was bought by a private party and refurbished.


It was sold to the DSR in 2008,

and has a current boiler certificate until 2018.


It has slightly smaller diameter cylinders than Goliath,

the 52xx which is undergoing repairs

has the same wheel arrangement of 2-8-0T,

but both locomotives are well-suited to this very challenging branch line.













Having been shunted onto the coal loading road,

Hercules stands awaiting preparation

for the following day's train to Kingswear




Timetable 1938 (Bradshaw)







Pickering - Goathland - Grosmont - Whitby

Timetables & Fares



For further information

visit the


North Yorkshire Moors Railway


Link updates automatically



click map



SATELLITE NAVIGATIONx X Post Codes / Lat. & Long.


Station   Post Code  
Pickering   YO18 7AJ    
Levisham   YO18 7NN    
Newton Dale Halt      

54° 20' 31.84" N

0° 42' 57.29" W

Goathland   YO22 5NF    
Grosmont   YO22 5QE    
Whitby   YO21 1DX    





To view the

RVR Historical Rail Map

which includes the

North Yorkshire Moors Railway

click here




As we leave Whitby Station

behind Class 25 Diesel D7628, 'Sybilla' ,


we pass under the magnificent Larpool Viaduct

on the closed Scarborough to Whitby line,

now reduced to a cycleway









On reaching Grosmont Station on the NYMR,

ex LNER ( GNR ) N2 Condensing Tank, locomotive No.1744,

backs onto our train

for the stiff climb to Goathland









N2 tank No.1744 pilots Class 25, D7628,

out of Grosmont Station









After reaching Goathland Station

after a spirited climb from Grosmont,


we are greeted by the sight of a

superbly-restored goods train standing in the sidings


bringing back many boyhood memories









The elegant water tank and water crane at Goathland

with semaphore signals clearly visible over the bridge in the distance.


The sun was in the wrong place for this photo

but the tree at the other side precluded a brighter picture!









This view of Goathland Signal Box,

sited at the foot of the eastbound platform

also shows the repainting of the station footbridge and the busy platform

awaiting the arrival of the next train to Grosmont







Our train arrives at a very busy and sunny Pickering Station








"The interesting bits", the Control Room

of the N2 Tank.


I would love to get my hands

on these valves and things,


with gloves on, of course!



A graphic shot of the N2 tank

about to take on water at Pickering

for the return journey to Grosmont,


obtained by kind permission of the Station Controller

after a heated discussion

about the over-zealous application

of the "Health and Safety At Work Act" !!








Approaching Levisham Station, with its level crossing,


on the return journey to Goathland









The reasons for including this shot are two-fold.

Firstly, it illustrates the rugged nature of the terrain,

through which this magnificent line was built.


The embankment and fence were actually on fire

just previous to this picture, presumably ignited by the last train!


Secondly, because of the condensing operation of this locomotive,

the poorer quality of coal now obtainable, is highlighted.


The smoke emitted from the chimney

was very bad all the way up this steep climb,

causing passengers to close the windows!










A detailed shot of the 3 - arm bracket signal

on the approach to Goathland Station









Westbound train, headed by "Black 5", No.45428, "Eric Treacy" ,

awaits our arrival in the passing loop at Goathland


to allow the drivers of the respective locomotives

to exchange "Tokens" for their following sections










Stainier Black 5, "Eric Treacy",

stands at Goathland, with a full head of steam,

awaiting the right of way to return to Grosmont










A view of Goathland Station


used extensively in the TV series

"Heartbeat" and the "Harry Potter" movies.


I find this station extremely emotional

as it evokes many memories of days long gone,

spent at various railway locations










A high level view of the main platform at Goathland,

used extensively whilst filming










Goathland again









Black 5, No.45428, "Eric Treacy",

arrives at Goathland Station tender-first.
























Now, three pictures of "Elizabeth",

the Sentinel Steam Bus,

which started life in 1931 as a steam wagon,

was then converted to a tar sprayer in 1948,

and reverted to a wagon in the 1950's.


It was saved from the scrap yard as a flatbed wagon

by the present owner Vincent

(who drove for the NYMR and the Hogwarts Express

in the Harry Potter movies),

who finally added the bus body,


and has been giving rides around the hills of Whitby

since 2005.


"Elizabeth" is capable of 50mph on the motorway,

and has plenty of reserve power

for climbing the steep hills

around this East Coast resort.


Well worth a visit!








"Elizabeth" also sports

a most gloriously sounding

"Chime Whistle"


As the slogan says:

" Relive the glory of steam"











An atmospheric view of Larpool Viaduct







This is how it used to be!

The End




Quick Links

Top of page



To view the

July 1938 Bradshaw Timetables


for all the railway lines shown on the map

located at the start of this feature


click below





NYMR News Bulletin:






With excitement growing around England 's World Cup hopes,

the North Yorkshire Moors Railway

has made its own ‘summer signing'

in the shape of a particularly large steam engine,

aimed at strengthening its front line.


The British Railways BR Standard Class 9,

engine number 92214,

has just arrived on the moors,

and is expected to haul passenger trains

from Tuesday 15 June.  


It will run throughout the remainder of the season

on the moors.















The Class 9F 2-10-0 was the last

in a series of standardised locomotive classes

designed for British Railways during the 1950s,


and was intended for hauling heavy goods trains over long distances.  


It is one of the most powerful steam locomotive types

ever to have been built in Britain

and one of the most successful.


This type of engine was often dubbed a “spaceship”

on account of its huge bulk.  

A total of 251 such engines were built

and the final one, engine number 92220,

emerged from Swindon works in 1960

as the last new steam engine built by British Railways,

and given the name “Evening Star.”


There are high hopes that the new arrival

will help to lure even more visitors

to the heritage steam railway during the summer. 


Philip Benham, General Manager of the NYMR, said:

“As the last steam engine

to have been built for British Railways,

and one of the most powerful,

the 9Fs always had a special following.  

In footballing terms, it's rather like adding

a top striker to our frontline. 


This engine has never before been in operation

on our railway,

and should add even more pulling power

to what we have to offer. 


It will be with us until the end of October,

and we hope it will help lure visitors

to spend a good value day out with us,

irrespective of what happens in the World Cup.”


























Above photos courtesy North Yorkshire Moors Railway



Quick Links