IRISH BOG RAILWAYS

Part 2

by

Brian Haworth

Updated: 18/12/2015

 

For express links to    
  Irish Bog Railways Part 1 click here
Irish Bog Railways Part 3 click here
  Irish Bog Railways Part 4 click here

 

 

Skip Introduction

 

INTRODUCTION

 

IRISH BOG RAILWAYS

 

Bord na Mona (established in 1946, immediately following WW2)

works Ireland 's complicated system of bog railways.

 

 

There are three sectors of the peat industry,

viz. peat for energy, peat for horticulture, and peat for domestic fuel.

 

By far the largest sector is the peat for energy,

which produces milled peat for use in power stations

to produce electricity.

 

 

The power stations are located around the huge Bog of Allen,

and the bog railways are used for transporting the peat

from source to the power stations.

 

 

 

Permanent lines run from the bogs to power stations,

briquette factories, moss peat factories and road side tipplers.

 

Most of the bog railways run on 3 ft gauge tracks,

and permanently-laid track connects the works

to the power stations and factories.

 

Temporary tracks are connected to the area of bog, currently being worked,

and then removed when that particular area has been worked out.

 

 

Some of the systems mirror standard gauge railways

with double track main line, level crossings and bridges.

 

 

Bord na Mona have specialised track fabrication workshops,

track-laying machines and a very varied stud of locomotives (around 250 locos).

 

There are over a thousand miles of bog railway in use

making the Bord na Mona rail system,

larger than Iarnrod Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways put together.

 

 

Around five million tons of peat is moved annually

with four major workshops, located at

Boora, Blackwater, Mountdillon and Derrygreenagh / Edenderry.

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

July 2012

xxxx   xxx
 
xxxxxx
 
 

LM91 a Ruston and Hornsby 40DL loco,

 

which was built in 1954,

works no 371962

 

sits awaiting attention.

 

It worked out of Boora Depot for Bord Na Mona

 

Two unidentified locos

 

showing signs of restoration

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Heavily stripped unidentified loco awaits its fate

 

 

Unidentified rusting yellow-liveried loco

 

stands at the head of a line

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Green liveried Ruston and Hornsby LM49

works no 259189, built in 1949

 

and formally off Tionnsca depot

 

awaits its next turn of duty

 

 

LM161 built by Ruston and Hornsby,

works no 402175

 

in 1956

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

An unidentified rusting hulk

 

slowly moulders away

 

at the end of a long line of locomotives

 

awaiting attention

 

Unidentified loco in an unusual blue and cream livery

 

stands out of use

 

with weeds sprouting on the running board.

 

A faded no 2 can be made out on the cabside

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 

View from front running board of Ruston locomotive

down long line of stored locomotives

 

Unidentifed yellow-liveried loco

stands with poor external condition bodywork

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

LM253, a Deutz KS28B loco works no 57834,

was built in 1965

 

and worked out of Blackwater depot.

Line up of locos under the trees

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Unidentified loco

shows signs of restoration

 

 

 

Ruston and Hornsby LM174, works no 402986,

was built in 1956

 

and worked out of Tionnsca depot

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

LM258, a Deutz KS28B loco,

was built in 1965, works no 57839,

 

and operated out of Mountdillon depot

 

 

Unidentified loco

undergoes major restoration

 

in the workshops at Drummod

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Yellow-liveried Gleismac LF45 / Dundalk engineering LM362

sits awaiting restoration.

 

Built in 1984, the loco worked out of Bangor Erris depot

Front view of Hunslet LM384

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Hunslet LM384, works no 9256, built in 1985,

is ready to depart Kiltareher and Milternagh loading point

 

with a loaded of wagons for Coolmagun sidings

Side view of LM374 with usual standard style of number plate

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Side view of LM374

 

Note the number plate

made from car registration plate

 

 

 

 

 

Head on view of Hunslet LM374, works no 9239,

 

at work in the Kiltareher and Milternagh bogs

in July 2012

 

The loco, working out of Coolmagun depot,

was built in 1984

 

and originally worked out of Mountdillon depot

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Simplex 60SL LM350

built in 1980

 

stands at the stop-blocks at Drummod

 

 

 

 

 

With its engine bonnet missing

and what appears to be a well protected cab,

 

an unidentified loco sits in the company of railcar C47.

 

This railcar was built by Bord Na Mona and Southern Motors in 1958

was powered with a Ford petrol engine and weighing 3 ton,

 

and seated eight passengers.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

A line of locos gain some protection

from the elements under the trees

 

as they await attention

 

A line-up of ex-Guinness locomotives

stand outside the workshops

 

at Drommod

 

 
 
 
 

 

Return to Top

 

Return to Irish Bog Railways Part 1

Return to Irish Bog Railways Part 3

 

Return to World Railways Index

 

Visit Irish Stations Gallery

Railway Map of Ireland

Bradshaw 1938 Irish Timetables

 

Return to RVR Home Page