Ballinasloe station in County Galway was opened
by the Midland Great Western Railway on the 1 August 1851,
and was part of the route from Mullingar to Galway.
Unfortunately, the line fron Mullingar to Athlone closed a number of years ago
so the station is served by trains running between Athlone and Galway.
The attractive neo gothic station building, constructed of local limestone,
is typical of mid 19 th century rural Midland Great Western station architecture.
The chimney stacks are brilliant!
The two-platformed manned station
has a ticket office, good car parking facilities,
a waiting area and wheel chair accessible platforms.
The tall, mothballed signal box, situated next to the road crossing gates,
is a very attractive structure,
and, when viewed from the footbridge,
the old crossing gate wheel can still be seen in the signal box.