The station was opened on 3 December 1862
by the Midland Great Western Railway
and is situated 97 miles 62 chains from Dublin
and served by the Dublin / Sligo service.
The line was double-tracked
with a large goods shed and platform located signal box,
the goods shed still stands, in private ownership,
as does the de-commisioned signal box.
The track is now singled with just one platform serving the station.
The Midland Great Western Railway was the third largest system in Ireland
linking Dublin to Galway and Sligo.
It was formed in the 1840s, surviving until its amalgamation
with other railways in the South of Ireland
becoming part of the Great Southern Railway
at the grouping of Irish Railways in 1925.