IRISH STATIONS

Castlebar

by

Brian Haworth

Í

Updated: 15/01/2015

 

 

 

 

CASTLEBAR RAILWAY STATION

 

Castlebar Railway Station in Mayo

was opened by the Great Northern and Western Railway Company

 

which was later amalgamated

into the Midland Great Western

 

with some of the original GNWR building still surviving

and in use today

 

 

 

Station entrance and approach road at Castlelbar.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Overview of station taken from adjacent road bridge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View towards Westport from the platform

showing the location of the

Signal Box and Water Tower

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Neat and well-proportioned Water Tower

 

(lettering on the side shows tank was built in Dublin)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Midland Great Western Signal Box

 

(Unfortunately the door and windows showing signs of forced entry)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nice display celebrating 150 years of the station's existence

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The well-maintained out-of-use Waiting Room

on former platform 2

 

also features a nice display of railway artefacts

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Westport-bound service

approaches the station

 

passing the Old Goods Shed

BRADSHAW TIMETABLES

RAIL SERVICES serving CASTLEBAR

 

1910

 

1938

 

 

Return to Top

Return to Irish Stations Index

Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Return to RVR Home Page

Visit Gallery 14 (Brian Haworth)

Return to Trailer Gallery

Visit Antrim & Newry in Gallery 20 (Richard Watts)