The graceful Boyne viaduct was designed
by Civil Engineer Sir John Macneil,
built during the 1850s, and fully completed by 1855.
The first train to actually cross the viaduct
did so on the 11 th May 1853.
The impressive viaduct carries the Belfast / Dublin line
98 feet above the River Boyne.
Twelve stone arches on the south side
and three on the north side
link to the central Pratt truss,
which was originally manufactured out of three iron spans
carrying two tracks across the river.
The bridge was re-furbished in the 1930s,
and the old iron spans were replaced with new steel girders.
Unfortunately, the new steel girders were not wide enough
to carry both sets of tracks
so the northbound and southbound tracks were interlaced
so that one rail lay between the track
running in the opposite direction.
In 1990, when the track was renewed,
the interlaced track was removed
and a single track with points at each end was installed.