Dublin's newest station, Dublin Docklands,
opened at a temporary location
on Sheriff Street in Dublin's North Wall area
on 12 March 2007.
The temporary two platform station was built
to relieve pressure on Dublin Connolly Station.
It was the first heavy rail station to open in the city of Dublin
since Dublin Tara Street opened in 1891.
The station deals with an hourly service
from Clonsilla on the Maynooth / Longford line.
It is planned that the current station
will be re-located to a permanent location
in the re-developed Spencer Dock area,
which is due to be completed
Current planning conditions attached to the station state
that the station must be relocated by 2016.
CIE, however, are believed to prefer the station
to remain on its current site
and may look to seek further planning permission
to allow this to happen.
The station sits in a rather isolated area,
which will obviously be developed in the near future.
Just up the road from the station is Church Junction,
where freight traffic accesses
Dublin North and East Wall Dock Yards