Mullingar Railway Station in County Westmeath, 50 miles 17 chains from Dublin,
opened on the 2 October 1848,
providing a direct route to Dublin.
The first station was only temporary, and located close to the greyhound stadium.
The line from Mullingar to Galway via Athlone
opened during August 1851, but is now out-of-use.
A new station, the current one, opened closer to the town on 14 December 1855,
when the branch to Longford was constructed.
The attractive station at Mullingar was designed
by the Midland Great Western's architect, George Wilkinson,
and cost £7,240.
Mullingar subsequently became quite a railway centre,
boasting a goods yard, large cattle docks, and an engine shed, with turntable.
The turntable still exists, and is used for occasional steam rail tours.
Today, the station is served by trains on the Dublin / Sligo route
and has a large well-used car park, and a manned ticket office.