MULTYFARNHAM

(Mullingar - Sligo Line)

STATION GATES SIGNAL BOX

Brian Haworth

Updated: 19/01/2015

 

 

 

 

MULTYFARNHAM

STATION GATES SIGNAL BOX

 

One of the last, if not the last, manned signal /crossing box

between Mullingar and Sligo

was due to close during the later part of 2011.

 

During a visit there in August 2011, the new electric crossing gates were on site

with preparatory work on going prior to their installation.

 

There has been a signal box on this site since 1855

when the adjacent station was opened by the Midland Great Western Railway.

 

The station boasted a fine stone station building and large stone goods shed

of typical Midland Great Western design.

 

Situated 57 miles 37 chains from Dublin Broadstone,

the station closed in 1963.

 

The Signal Box lost its signal control during the route re-signalling scheme

but retained its manned status as the crossing gates were manually operated.

 

The main station buildings survive as a private house

and the old stone goods shed still stands, but without a roof.

 

 

 

 

 

 

View of Multyfarnham Station Gates Signal Box,

brick-based with wooden-bodied main framework.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Front view of Station Gates Signal Box Multyfarnham

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View towards Mullingar

showing remains of Multyfarnham Station Platform

 

and the substantial renovated station building

now in use as a private house.

 

Of interest is the Platform Canopy

opposite from station building

 

and the remains of the Goods Shed in the distance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Interior of Station Gates Signal Box

 

Note out-of-use Signal Frame still in situ

and padded to provide comfortable accommodation.

 

Also of note is box identity plate XS 15.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lever frame

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View from signal box towards Sligo

 

The new barrier holders are in place

and looking at their location.

 

It is clear that the new gates

will operate at a different angle to the road

than the existing manual gates.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just the job for a cold night - the small peat-burning stove

inside the Signal Cabin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

View from the signal box towards Mullingar

 

The ivy-covered Platform Awning

can be clearly seen

 

as can the roofless Goods Shed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The soon-to-be-removed Crossing Gates

(Scroll down for the update)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Close up of wooden gate posts and large tensioning support bars

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

August 2012

Almost twelve months on from my last visit in August 2011

the old manual crossing gates have gone forever,

 

replaced by electric barriers, flashing lights and associated fencing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In August 2012, the attractive crossing box still stands

but unmanned and out-of-use.

 

 

1910

 

1938

 

 

 

Return to Top

 

Return to Irish Stations Index

 

Irish Map

 

Irish Railways

Irish Railways 2

 

Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery

 

xxxxxx xx  

.

.