SLIGO QUAY BRANCH
The Sligo Quay Branch was opened
by the Midland Great Western Railway in 1862
shortly after Sligo station opened.
The branch diverged from the main line
on the approach to Sligo station
diving behind the Signal Box
and descending to the Quays on a 1 in 70 incline.
At the Quay was a large Goods Yard and stone Goods Shed
with tracks fanning off to various private sidings
controlled by the Sligo Harbour Commission.
In 1972, the facilities in the yard were upgraded
and an overhead crane installed for container traffic.
Timber and oil traffic were the last commodities
to be transported regularly.
The branch now lies mothballed out-of-use
although the top end of the branch, adjacent to the Signal Box,
in recent years has been used as a stabling point for units.