Tullamore railway station opened on the 2nd October 1854
on the Great Southern and Western Portarlington branch to Athlone.
In the early 1970s, the Dublin /Galway services
were re-routed to run via the branch,
and to this end, major infrastructure works were carried out
to upgrade the branch.
At this time, an extra platform was introduced at the station
and the branch was resignalled.
The surviving railway buildings
contain a booking office and waiting room.
At the end of the platform
sits the out-of-use but preserved signal box
At the other end of the station, the old cement silo still stands,
also out-of-use, having last seen traffic in 2009,
located alongside the fertiliser store.