Photographs & Captions


Brian Haworth

Updated: 15/05/2015


Visit Irish Stations Gallery


Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery

xxxx X xxxxx

xx xxXx xxxx



A Metropolitan- Vickers, built in Manchester,

class 001 Co-Co No. 056


stands in the mothballed Athlone platform

at Mullingar


with the early morning Mullingar / Dublin service

in July 1989.


This loco, introduced to traffic during August 1956,

lost its Metropolitan Vickers engine

during rebuilding in November 1969.


The loco soldiered on until withdrawal in October 1992

General Motors class 201 no 229 “River Maine

awaits departure from Dublin Connolly

on 24 July 1996.


This class of loco, weighing 112 tons

and fitted with a GM D 43 engine,


was built in Ontario Canada by General Motors

in 1995

















GM class 181, no 183,

rolls onto the motive power depot

at Dublin Connolly

in July 1989.


This 67 ton loco was built by General Motors

at La Grange, Illinois,

in 1966







Manchester-built Metropolitan Vickers C

class loco no. 221


awaits departure from Dublin Connolly

in July 1989.


This 1957-built loco lost its Metro-Vic engine

during rebuilding in February 1972










General Motors built class 14,1 No 147,

roars out of Dublin Connolly Station


removing the empty stock from the Sligo service

to the carriage sidings for servicing on 11 August 1993.


This class of loco was built in America

at La Grange, Illinois

in 1962






General Motors class 121, built in 1960

at La Grange, Illinois


awaits the road at Dublin Connolly

on 11 August 1993.


These single-cab locos always hauled trains

with the cab leading when running singly










Class 071, No 071,

coasts through Longford

on a tank train in July 1996.


The class 071s were built by General Motors

at their La Grange plant

in Illinois in 1976.








General Motors class 141, No 167,

is given the road

at Mullingar


with the early evening departure to Sligo


on 24th July 1996.










NIR class 11,1 No 112 “Northern Counties”,

departs Dublin Connolly


bound for Belfast during July 1989.


This small class of three locos

were built by General Motors

at their La Grange plant, Illinois, in the early 1980s,


initially for use on Belfast/Dublin services









Two GM Class 141 diesel locos

stand at rest in the yard


at Dublin Connolly Motive Power Depot


awaiting their next call of duty

in July 1989















Fresh from the paint shops, GM class 141 167

awaits departure

from Dublin Connolly station


with the tea time 17:15 departure for Sligo


on 24 July 1996













The driver of GM class 071, no 085,

catches the token

thrown by the Mullingar signal man

as the service departs Mullingar


with the 13:25 ex Sligo to Dublin service

on 15 August 2002


The photo is taken from the huge signal cabin

at Mullingar





















GM class 071 rolls into Mullingar

with the 14:39 service to Sligo on 12 August 2002.


Note the signal cabin and the large booking hall building.


Also of interest is the floral display.













Close up of cab of GM class 201

diesel, No 207 “River Boyne ” .


The unusual positioning of the nameplate

is worth noting,


as is the fact that,


if the loco was viewed from the other side,

the name would read “ABHAINN NA BOINNE”


Taken on 24 July 1996










The magnificent Midland Great Western

Refreshment Room / Booking office

at Mullingar Station.


The line curving to the right leads to Sligo,

and the bay to its right

served the Cavan branch.


Off picture, to the left of the refreshment room,

is the mothballed line to Athlone and Galway.


The picture is taken from the base of the signal cabin

in August 2002








With just nine months before its withdrawal,

Metropolitan Vickers A class 001 No 048,

in very poor external condition,


shunts stock at Dublin Connolly

on 11 August 1993


















The spotless interior of Mullingar's signal box

taken on the 15 August 1993.


With the recently completed signal works,

which has seen semaphore signals

replaced with electric colour lights,


the signal box is still in situ but mothballed out of use.










The exterior of the impressive

Midland Great Western Signal Cabin

at Mullingar,


unfortunately now redundant

but happily preserved in situ


and noted on 22 Oct 2008










The impressive main train shed

at Dublin Connolly station










Commuter DMU 29103 rolls into Mullingar

on 22 October 2008


with the 09:05 departure from Dublin Connolly to Sligo.











Commuter DMU 29403 prepares to depart Mullingar

with the 10:12 to Sligo


on 22 October 2008.









The sleek lines and attractive livery

of the latest Inter-City units

on Irish Rail


at Dublin Connolly


captured on 22 October 2008.









A pair of new InterCity units,

which have ousted the old GM diesels

from  front line services,


stand at rest in Dublin Connolly station


after working in the 09:00 departure

from Sligo (arrival Dublin 11:58)


on 22 October 2008









Commuter DMU 2805

prepares to depart Dublin Connolly


with the 12:05 departure for Drogheda (arrives 12:59)


also on 22 October 2008
















Two commuter DMUs

stand in Dublin Connolly station.


Note the turntable and water tower in the background


on 22 October 2008.












Return to Top

Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery


Visit Irish Stations Gallery

Railway Map of Ireland

Bradshaw 1938 Irish Timetables



Return to RVR Home Page


IRISH RAIL website




Visit Gallery 14 (Brian Haworth)


Added 25 August 2010

Departure Screen at Dublin Connolly


Click below

to visit the website of





Class 071, no 080, stands at rest

outside Dublin Connolly MPD,

awaiting its next turn of duty.


This loco was built in 1976 by General Motors

in their famous La Grange works in Illinois USA.


It is currently adorned in

Irish Rail's Black and Silver freight livery.








Driver's eye view

of the road out of Dublin Connolly.


The MPD can be made out on the right.


On departure, this Sligo-bound service

will curve away to the left,


and the route to Belfast straight ahead.











The attractive lattice roof of Dublin Connolly's station,

with its recently renewed platforms,


enhance the smooth lines of

class 22000 six-car surburban unit 22242


as it rolls fresh from the depot into the platform

ready to form a Sligo service


on 26 July 2010








Class 22000 (a six-car set) 22342

pokes its cab from

under the station canopy

at Dublin Connolly,


catching the bright sunlight


on 26 July 2010













InterCity liveried River class 201 unit 227, RIVER LAUNE,


stands at Dublin Connolly on 26 July 2010,


awaiting departure on the

13:20 Dublin /Belfast Enterprise service.


This class of diesel was built by General Motors

in 1994/5.


Some members of the class

have both English and Irish nameplates,


and other class members, although allocated names,

never received them.


In the case of this loco 227,

it has just English nameplates.








Class 22000 six car Outer Suburban unit 22342

stands at Mullingar at 12:16


on 26 July 2010


after arriving on time

with the 11:05 departure from Dublin Connolly.


The service then continued to Sligo,

with a timetabled 14:10 arrival.



















A very neat and tidy Longford Station


complete with attractive footbridge

(bridge no. 451)

and Signal Box

on 27 July 2010


Built by the Midland and Great Western Railway,

the station opened in 1855.








The old Goods Shed and evocative old Yard Crane

contrast with the colour light signal (SL795)

at Longford


July 2010















Longford Station

taken from the station footbridge

looking towards Dublin.


The main station buildings,

complete with ticket and enquiry office,

are on the left.


The bus station is outside these buildings,

adjacent to the station car park.


The now out-of-use Freightliner Terminal

can be seen

on the right of the picture.


The rather precariously-balanced Signal Box

at Longford Station,


sadly now mothballed out-of-use

following the recent re-signalling programme.














Set 7 a three-car unit,

consisting of 22307, 22407 and 22207,


arrives at Longford


on 27 July 2010.









Set 7 departs Longford,


framed by the ornate MGW footbridge


on 27 July 2010.









Return to Top

Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery


Visit Irish Stations Gallery

Railway Map of Ireland

Bradshaw 1938 Irish Timetables


Return to RVR Home Page


IRISH RAIL website


Visit Gallery 14 (Brian Haworth)





Old railway age meets

new railway age “crane and cab”


at Longford


July 2010




















Float (for Castlepollard) Station

July 2010.


is situated on the Cavan branch,

close to Inny Junction,


and was built by the MGW,


This station and its goods shed

are amazing survivors from MGW days.


Opened in 1856,

the station closed to passengers in 1947


but did see occasional freight up to 1960,

after which the track was lifted.













Float Station

July 2010


with platforms still in situ.


The old MGW Goods Shed

can be seen beyond the station.








Float Station

July 2010


viewed from the road looking down the trackbed.


The old Pedestrian Gate and Level Crossing Gate Post

still stand.


Unfortunately, the MGW signal box,

“Float Station Crossing"

which was situated on the left of the track bed,


has long since been demolished.





The mothballed Athlone branch line

at Mullingar Station


July 2010










The early morning sun catches class 22000 / 22323

as it departs Mullingar


with the 08:17 service to Sligo


on 28 July 2010.











The impressive mothballed Mullingar Signal Box


July 2010




Class 22000 22241 rolls into Mullingar


with the 08:55 departure

for Dublin Connolly (arrive 10:05),


the train having departed Sligo at 07:00





Return to Top

Visit Irish Bog Railways Gallery


Visit Irish Stations Gallery

Railway Map of Ireland

Bradshaw 1938 Irish Timetables


Return to RVR Home Page


IRISH RAIL website



Visit Gallery 14 (Brian Haworth)

Return to Gallery 13 Home Page

Return to Trailer Gallery


Visit Antrim & Newry in Gallery 20 (Richard Watts)








Internal view of class 22000 unit.


Built by Rotem (Korea) and Mitsui (Tokyo),

they are Irish Rail's latest Inter-City units.


They have a top speed of 100 mph,

and are designed to operate

as three, six or nine car sets.


The design also allows them to operate

up to eighteen cars in case of emergency.


As can be seen,

they are finished to a high standard,

and seats line up with windows,


unlike most of the UK's units.











River class 209, 209,

which was allocated River Foyle name plates

but was never given them,


stands at Dublin Connolly,


having just arrived

on an Enterprise service from Belfast.


Note the not to be moved sign in place

as the loco and stock receive attention from service staff,

prior to its return journey to Belfast



















Cab view of 209 at Dublin Connolly


28 July 2010



Class 22000, 22241, a six car suburban unit,


is serviced at Platform 1 at Dublin Connolly


having arrived with a service from Sligo














Class 29000 four car outer suburban unit 29407

shares the stop blocks

at Dublin Connolly


with class 22000, 22132








Class 22000, 22332,

stands under the impressive train shed

at Dublin Connolly


28 July 2010











Contrasting front ends and liveries

class 22000 and class 29000


at Dublin Connolly


28 July 2010.









The impressive frontage

of Dublin Heuston Station

(formally Dublin Kingsbridge)















Dublin Heuston Station train shed

28 July 2010


with a couple of class 22000's awaiting departure.










A pair of 22000 units stand at the buffer stops

in platforms two and three


at Dublin Heuston Station


on 28 July 2010.











A six car class 22000

stands awaiting the road


at Dublin Heuston's rather isolated platform 10.












A three-car class 22000 unit

departs Dublin Heuston.


The loco servicing point

can just be glimpsed behind the back carriage,


and stored passenger stock,

in the old orange and black livery,


is visible in the distant yard.









The impressive side-entrance

to Dublin Heuston Station


July 2010








Dart unit crosses the River Liffey


July 2010












Eight car class 29000 unit

arrives at Dublin Tara Street

on 28 July 2010.









Dart unit 8622

awaits departure from Dublin Tara Street

on 28 July 2010.












Class 29000 29107

rolls into Dublin Tara Street


with plenty of passengers

waiting to join


on 28 July 2010









Dart unit class 8520,

built in Japan no 8621,


awaits departure

with a service to Bray.


28 July 2010












Two dart units cross

at Dublin Tara Street Station


on 28 July 2010


Unit 8128 is a class 8100,

built by Siemens in Germany,


and unit 8621 is a class 8520,

built by Tokyo Corporation of Japan.





Dart class 8500, no 8603 arrives

at Dublin Tara Street Station


on 28 July 2010


















Typical MGW

red brick and limestone Water Tower and Turntable


at Dublin Connolly Station


July 2010








Class 29000

built by CAF in Spain,

framed by an arch


at Dublin Connolly Station


July 2010










Two class 29000 units

await the evening peak


at Dublin Connolly Station


28 July 2010












The driver of River Class 201 no 233

catches up on the news

in Dublin's evening paper,


whilst awaiting departure

on the 16:50 Enterprise service to Belfast.


Note the Irish nameplate.


The nameplate on the other side of the cab

will be in English










29000 class units, 29415, 29113,


stand at Dublin Connolly


on 28 July 2010















Two class 29000 units

await tea-time departure


from Dublin Connolly on 28 July 2010.


To the left of 29415 and 29113

sits River Class 201, no 233



awaiting departure

with the 16-50 Enterprise service to Belfast.









River class 201, 233,

blasts out of Dublin Connolly


with the 16:50 'Enterprise' service to Belfast

on 28 July 2010









DVT at rear of 'Enterprise' service

with class 201 at the front















A bit of luck here

with a very geometrical and symmetrical line-up

of front ends


at Dublin Connolly

July 2010









Two 29000 units at rest at the blocks


at Dublin Connolly


28 July 2010













Very impressive performance figures

Dublin Connolly

July 2010.









Station frontage at Dublin Connolly

(formally Dublin Amiens Street)













Luas tram Station Terminus

at Dublin Connolly


with Alstom Citadis type 301, tram 3010,

awaiting departure










Two Class 2800 Arrow two-car sets

snake into Dublin Connolly Station,

led by unit 2084


on 28 July 2010.













Class 8100 Dart, unit 8334,

arrives at Dublin Connolly


on 28 July 2010









Class 8100 Dart, unit 8135,

contrasts with the old water tower

at Dublin Connolly


28 July 2010












Class 22000 six car suburban set 22242

glides into Dublin Connolly


to form the 17:05 departure to Sligo


on 28 July 2010





Class 22000 unit stands at Mullingar


awaiting departure

with the 18:14 service to Sligo







In the above gallery, most of the photographs

taken at Dublin's Stations


have now been re-assembled at

much higher resolution


in the

Dublin Stations Gallery


which also includes notes, maps

and timetables

relevant to Dublin


To view, click here


Visit Gallery 14 (Brian Haworth)