MANX RAILWAYS

Colin Carr

Visited June 1999

 

 

 

 

ISLE of MAN STEAM RAILWAY


This 3 ft gauge railway, running 15.3 miles from Douglas to Port Erin,

and using vintage steam locomotives and rolling stock,

was opened in 1874.

 

Apart from one 0-6-0 engine,

inherited from the Isle of Man Northern Railway,

all the locomotives are 2-4-0 tank engines.

 

 

 

 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only 0-6-0 loco, No. 4, Caledonia, wearing the livery of its original owners, the now defunct Manx Northern Railway,

observed at Port Erin

 

Isle of Man Steam Railway 2-4-0 loco no. 10, C. H. Wood,

now ready to depart Port Erin for Douglas. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 

No. 10 awaiting the 'off' at Port Erin

 

Plenty of smoke and steam

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 

No. 4 and No.1

in charge of a Douglas to Port Erin double-header

 

Station stop en-route to Port Erin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 

No.4 at Port Erin

 

No.1, Sutherland, at Port Erin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 
No.1 and No.4 head back to Douglas
 
Unidentified loco in charge of a Port Erin train

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


Snaefell Mountain Railway

 

 

This tramway runs on 3' 6" gauge track and uses 550 volts DC electric power drawn from overhead lines. It covers the 5 miles from Laxey to the summit of the islands only mountain, Snaefell.

The line opened in 1895 and uses vintage trams. The journey takes thirty minutes. From the top of Snaefell on a clear day, it is said that you can see six kingdoms, Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland, Mann and Heaven.

 

Laxey Wheel

seen from the Snaefell Mountain Railway

 

Snaefell Mountain Railway tram No 3with a full load

starts the descent to Laxey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 
Tram No 1 awaits its next service to Laxey
 
Tram No 4 arrives at the top of Snaefell

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


Manx Electric Railway


 

This is currently the longest railway on the island, running 17 miles from Douglas, via Laxey, to Ramsay.

It is 3ft gauge and powered from 500 volt DC overhead wires.

Most of the trams were built before 1910, and two date back to the opening of the line in 1893.

 

Manx Electric Railway tramcar no. 6

at Laxey

 

 

 

 

Tram No.19, with an unpowered trailer in tow leaves Ramsey for Douglas.

She wears the livery of the long-defunct

Douglas, Laxey and Ramsay Electric Tramway.

 

Note the plaque celebrating 100 years of continuous service, 1899 - 1999

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 

Interior of an MER tram seen before departure

from Laxey to Ramsay

 

Interior of MER tram No 2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
 

MER tram No 2 in the livery of the former

Douglas & Laxey Coast Electric Tramway

 

MER trams No 2 and No 19

at Laxey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

Douglas Horse Drawn Tramway

 



The world's oldest surviving horse tramway opened in 1876.

 

It runs for 2 miles from the Sea terminal, via Douglas' Promenade,

to the Manx Electric Railway terminus at Derby Castle.

 
 

A one horsepower tram heads slowly

along the promenade towards Derby Castle