Extract from the Community Rail Lancashire website.
To read the full text, click here
The Padiham Greenway is a new circular walking and cycling route that has been developed in East Lancashire, linking the River Calder Greenway and the towpath of the Leeds to Liverpool Canal to form a circular route.
The Greenway also has a ‘branch' to the 17th century Gawthorpe Hall, a National Trust property famous for its furniture, and the nationally important Rachel Kay-Shuttleworth textile collection.
The route has been designed to create as far as possible an off-road route for pedestrians and cyclists.
From Padiham, the route uses the former railway line, which has been properly surfaced, and is lit for most of the route.
The Padiham Greenway is linked to the East Lancashire line at three locations namely Hapton, Rose Grove and Burnley Barracks.
Whilst the Greenway has been developed mainly for recreational use, it does form a secure cycle route from Padiham to the East Lancashire line, and will therefore be useful to commuters.
This project is about developing new markets for the East Lancashire Line linked to the Greenway.
Padiham is about 2 miles from the East Lancashire line, and up till now it has been difficult for walkers and cyclists to access the line safely.
This route changes that, and the ELCRP wants to develop the use of the route for recreational uses, and also as an alternative way for residents in Padiham to access the line – especially cyclists.
The Greenway was officially opened on 24 June 2010, the event being celebrated by a cycle ride around the route by 30 school children
and led by Brian Haworth, Community Rail Development Officer with Lancashire County Council.
To view the 1938 Bradshaw Timetable for the Padiham Loop,
Return to the Top of this Page
Return to the Community Rail Section
Return to RVR HOME Page