A Visit to the

STAINMORE RAILWAY COMPANY

May 2011

by

BRIAN HAWORTH

Updated: 29 June 2011

Click on the above photo to view the corresponding Bradshaw 1938 Timetable

when Kirkby Stephen East was actually in use for passenger traffic.

MAP of the area may be viewed by clicking here

 

 

 

KIRKBY STEPHEN EAST, which closed to passenger traffic on 22 January 1962

 

but, as the photograph shows, thanks to the sterling work of THE STAINMORE RAILWAY COMPANY,

new life has been breathed into the station and its environs

 

 

 

 

Inside view of the Train Shed

 

 

Line-up of diesels in the yard adjacent to the station

 

 

Classes 31, 47, 37 & 20 are all represented in this line-up in a real mix of liveries

 

 

A rather forlorn class 31 stands at the head of a line of diesel locomotives

 

 

Class 108 stands under an original lattice footbridge

 

 

Close-up of class 47, 47785

This loco was built in 1965 and allocated to Cardiff Canton as D1909.

Subsequently several different numbers D1909,47232,47665,47820 & 47785 were carried.

In July 1995, it was named THE STATESMAN, and finally, in 1997, this name was removed,

and the loco was renamed FIONA CASTLE.

The loco was withdrawn from service in December 2004.

 

 

 

Close-up of 37674

This loco was built in August1963 as D6869, and allocated to Landore.

It was renumberd 37169 in May 1974, and became 37674 in June 1987.

This loco was named SAINT BLAISE CHURCH 1445 /1995 in December 1995.

The loco was withdrawn from service in December 1995

 

 

 

Close-up of class 37, 37146

This loco entered traffic in 1963 as D6846, and was allocated to Cardiff Canton.

The loco spent some time working in France during 1999,

but was then withdrawn from service shortly after it returned to England.

 

 

 

0-4-0 Planet Diesel Shunter, No. 3598

pokes its nose out of the train shed.

 

 

 

Work to rebuild the platform out of the train shed is underway

 

 

 

 

The outside wall of the Train Shed

 

 

Class 20, 20169, built at Vulcan Foundary and allocated to Toton new in 1966 numbered D8169, stored in 1995 and withdraw from traffic shortly afterwards.

 

 

Close-up of class 31, Brush Diesel 31410.

It was released to traffic as D5669 in 1960

and allocated to March Depot.

 

Subsequently it was named GRANADA TELETHON

at Manchester Victoria in June 1962.

 

The loco was then withdrawn from service during February 1997.

 

 

 

 

View of the two class 37s on site, viz.37674 & 37146.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For further information about the

 

STAINMORE RAILWAY COMPANY

 

visit their very interesting and informative website

 

by clicking on the logo below

 

Logo of the

South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway Company

Classes 20 and 37 nose-to-nose.

KIRKBY STEPHEN EAST HERITAGE CENTRE

 

Opening Times 10 am - 4 pm Saturday and Sunday

 

 

 

 

Return to Top

 

Return to Articles Menu

Return to Trailer Gallery

Return to Picture Gallery Index

 

Return to RVR Home Page

STAINMORE '150' WEEKEND

 

The Stainmore Railway based at Kirkby Stephen East Heritage Centre

is celebrating the sesquicentennial anniversary of the opening of the line between Barnard Castle and Tebay by the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway.

 

There is a full 3 days of events over the

August Bank Holiday Weekend

27 29 August 2011

 

and what better way to travel to Kirkby Stephen on the Sunday

than by DalesRail.

 

There is a free vintage bus service to take you from the station

to the Heritage Centre

 

and plenty to see and do when you are there.

 

For further details, click here