Issue No.107

Ribble Valley Rail's

Quarterly Magazine

 

RVRNews

 

Then & Now

Photos

Gallery 1A

Issue No. 108

Updated 16 Mar 2016

 

 
RVRNews 112
 
  THEN  
 

B. Haworth Collection

Photographed in the mid 1970s looking towards Clitheroe,

Bridge 54 looks resplendent, newly re-decked and fenced.

 
 
NOW
 
 

B. Haworth

Fast forward to January 2016, and the Old Bridge, including its original stone piers,

has been demolished, re-located slightly, replaced with an All-Steel Bridge,

built locally in Billington, and photographed looking towards Blackburn.

 

In addition, the jointed track, visible in the then picture,

has now been upgraded to continuous-welded rail.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 111
 
 
THEN
 
 

B. Haworth Collection

Bolton Road Goods


Flat caps, Shunting Horses, an Iron Bridge and Cobbles

feature in the Then photograph.

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

Now almost everything has changed,

gone are the horses, flat caps and the iron Freckleton Street Bridge.


A new bridge carrys the renamed road “Barbara Castle Way”

over the main line and remains of the goods yard.


The surviving features are the cobbles and the main line.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 110
 
  THEN  
 

Photo: Dr. Paul Salveson

An atmospheric photograph at Blackburn in the early 1960s,

featuring an unidentified class 40 at the head of the evening parcels

alongside a Cravens DMU, sitting in the bay

awaiting departure for Manchester Victoria.

 

The lighting highlights the old lattice ironwork on the canopy,

and the massive platform flagstones are clearly visible,

as are several parcel trolleys.


Worth noting is the illuminated ‘Whitbread’ sign

on the old Dutton’s Brewery tower

and the station’s high chimneys, which survive today.

 
 
NOW
 
 

B. Haworth

Fast forward to 2015, and much has changed.

The station has been virtually rebuilt at platform level

and tarmac covers the old flagstones.

 

The ‘Whitbread’ sign has been replaced

with that for ‘Thwaites’

but the old station chimneys still stand proud.

 

In this picture, a class 142/150 combination

waits departure from platform1 with the 07:19 service to Manchester

via the Todmorden curve.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 109
 
 
THEN
 
 

B. Haworth

An unusual view of the private side of Langho Station

taken during the 1960s.


The large brick, double-storey Stationmaster’s House

and single-storey waiting rooms etc are looking rather run down,


and the chimneys give some idea

of the number of fires the station staff had to tend.


Langho Station, which opened on the 22 June 1850,

was closed on the 7 May 1956,


but the Station House remained in use for a number of years.

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

Fast forward to 2015, and a small housing development

stands on the site of the station buildings and goods yard.


Fortunately the station re-opened on 29th May 1994,

although the Blackburn-bound Platform was re-located

a few yards from the original site.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 108
 
  THEN  
 

R. Greenwood

An evocative picture of Lower Darwen stalwart 44462,

a regular on Ribble Valley services,


as it stands awaiting departure with the 10-19 to Hellifield in May 1961.


The guard chats with the loco crew whilst some passengers stand back

and admire the loco.


Of particular interest is the wall-mounted lower quadrant signal,

glimpsed just above the locomotive’s dome.


The clock could be the one, which disappeared without trace,


or the one that was stolen from Blackburn for use at Manchester Piccadilly.

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

Fast forward to 26th January 2015, and much has changed in today’s photograph.

The overall train shed roof has gone, replaced with a new domed structure.

The train shed retaining walls remain, although reduced in height,

and phone kiosks at stations have, in most cases, been displaced by mobile phones.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 107
 
  THEN  
 

K. Roberts

Jubilee 45559, British Columbia, bursts out of Gisburn Tunnel

with a freight in 1953.


Note the clear embankments and manicured ballast.


What does the letter C signify ?

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

Gisburn Tunnel September 2014


Vegetation hides some of the portal-stonework

and the embankments have been taken over by nature.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 106
 
  THEN  
 

G. Dudley

Before the re-introduction of the Clitheroe Rail Service,


the Ribble Valley Mancunian was the way to travel,

pictured here outside Blackburn Station!


Who remembers the roundabouts at each end of the Boulevard?


Note the Ribble Logo

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

The roundabout, full of daffodils, is long gone,

and in October 2014, even the road is being re-aligned.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 105
 
  THEN  
 

Brian Haworth Collection

Clitheroe Station at the turn of the last century

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

Clitheroe Station now

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 104
 
  THEN  
 

Unknown

Tarmac has replaced the cobbles, cars replaced the pedestrians

and the old gas lamp is no more.


Cob Wall Viaduct, however, has stood the test of time

although the large modern advertising hoarding

spoils the asthetic view of the structure.

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 103
 
  THEN  
 

Unknown

At this location today, only the bridge and the traffic remain,

the semaphores, wooden-bodied goods wagons and advertising boards

have long since disappeared.


The bridge now hosts a height restriction sign

along with a brighter colour scheme,

and trees have appeared on the scene.


Who can remember what was advertised on the large board

affixed to the far side of the bridge

 
 
NOW
 
 

B. Haworth

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 102
 
  THEN  
 

K. Roberts

A couple of passengers and the guard carefully

negotiate the snow covered platform

at Blackburn Station on a cold 26th January morning in 1960

 

as two steam locos simmer in an adjacent platform

awaiting their next call of duty

 
 
NOW
 
 

B. Haworth

Fast forward fifty three years and the scene has dramatically changed.

Gone are the fine array of semaphores, the water tower,

the ornate cast iron platform lamps

and solid roof support pillar.


Coach no M16675M was despatched to the scrap yard many years ago

along with hundreds of steam locomotives.

 

The platform flags on the “Manchester” Bay have long since disappeared.


(At least one roof support pillar survives from Blackburn Station

and now located at Clitheroe Station supporting the Interchange Clock.

It could be the one in the picture !)

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 101
 
  THEN  
 

Late Jack Berry

Rampant vegetation and rotting fences

cover the area that would become

the new entrance to a re-opened Clitheroe Station

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

A colourful, wild flower garden

and smart Interchange Office run by L.C.C.


now stand in the same area

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 100
 
 
THEN
 
 

Unknown

A clean-looking 1926-built “crab” 42755, from Agecroft MPD (26B),

hauls a goods working north across Moss Street

at Daisyfield Level Crossing in the early 50s.


Worthy of note is the gas lamp,

fixed to the wooden crossing gates support posts,

the cobbled street and the rather ornate street lamp.

 

The deep subway should also be noted along

with the complete absence of TV aerials

on any of the visible house chimney stacks.

 
 
NOW
 
 

B. Haworth

Class 150 off Newton Heath depot heads a Manchester / Clitheroe service

across the same level crossing in January 2013.

 

The houses, cobbles, and subway are no more

although the course of stone,

in the middle of the wall to the right of the picture,

gives a clue to the subway's former existence.


The ornate street lamp has been replaced

by a featureless 1960s concrete lamp,

and the crossing gas lamp is no more.

 

The line across the road has been singled,

and the wooden crossing gates

have been replaced by steel gates,

shut manually by the crossing keeper,

rather than mechanically from inside the box.

 

Daisyfield’s Saxby and Farmer signal box, built in 1873,

is the sole surviving link between the two pictures

although sadly this will soon be a distant memory

as it is scheduled for closure in the near future.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 99
 
 
THEN
 
 

K. Roberts

8F toils up Langho Bank with one of Lower Darwen’s Standards

giving assistance at the rear in the early 1960s.

 

The disused station buildings would soon disappear for ever

as would the neat Lattice Footbridge leaving the cattle creep

as the only means of crossing the railway line.

 

Note that the footbridge floor planks have been removed.

The station closed to passenger traffic on the 7th May 1956.


These days freight traffic is worked up Langho Bank unaided

usually by a member of the ubiquitous class 66 diesels.

 

In this shot, Colas Rail’s 66848 heads 6J37, a trainload of logs for Chirk,

through Langho Station, where standard shelters have replaced brick buildings,

and, in August 2012, the Lattice Footbridge is no more.

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 98
 
 

 

BLACKBURN STATION

 
  THEN  
 

K. Roberts

 
  NOW  
 

B. Haworth

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
RVRNews 97
 
 
THEN
 
 

K. Roberts

Bank Hall 3MT, 78044, approaches Aspinall’s Bridge

on a Hellifield - Liverpool Ex. service

during May 1960

 
  NOW  
 

S. Clarke

153351 leads150272 on the approach to Aspinall’s Bridge

on 2J56, 07:40 Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria service

on 7 February 2012

 

 

 

 

Return to Top of Page

Visit Gallery 1 RVRNews Front Covers

Return to RVR Home Page